[U-Boot] Issue in u-boot; TFTP error: trying to overwrite reserved memory...

Moses Christopher moseschristopherb at gmail.com
Wed Sep 11 19:33:31 UTC 2019

On Wed, 11 Sep, 2019, 9:12 PM Simon Goldschmidt, <
simon.k.r.goldschmidt at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
> >      >
> >      > TFTP from server 172.17.0.1; our IP address is 172.17.0.2
> >      >
> >      > Filename 'u-boot.img'.
> >      >
> >      > lmb_dump_all:
> >      >
> >      >     memory.cnt             = 0x0
> >      >
> >      >     memory.size            = 0xx
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >     reserved.cnt           = 0x0
> >      >
> >      >     reserved.size          = 0xx
> >      >
> >      > load_addr: 0x82000000
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >
> >      > TFTP error: trying to overwrite reserved memory...
> >      >
> >      > Problem booting with BOOTP
> >      >
> >      >
> >      >
> >      > In my u-boot it shows the DRAM size properly as 256MiB
> >      >
> >      > So, do I need to configure my RAM size in SPL stage as well, such
> >     that SPL is aware of the memory size ?
> >
> >     Ehrm, are you doing this from SPL?
> >

> > Yes, SPL loads u-boot onto the DRAM from Network, when the NAND is empty.
> >
> > By flashing the same MLO and u-boot binaries onto the NAND, and then
> > doing *dhcp MLO *from u-boot prompt gives the following log,
> >
> > Using usb_ether device
> > TFTP from server 172.17.0.1; our IP address is 172.17.0.2
> > Filename 'MLO'.
> > *lmb_dump_all:**
> > memory.cnt = 0x1
> > memory.size = 0x0
> > memory.reg[0x0].base = 0x80000000
> > .size = 0x10000000
> >
> > reserved.cnt = 0x1
> > reserved.size = 0x0
> > reserved.reg[0x0].base = 0x8df2ab98
> > .size = 0x20d5468*
> > load_addr: 0x80200000
>
> OK, so that works for a start ;-)
>

> >     You need the RAM size for 'lmb_init_and_reserve()' to read, yes.
> >     Otherwise it can't know
> >     where to safely allocate things.
> >
> >     Regards,
> >     Simon
> >

> > Would you think, SPL should also do the same or is this valid only for
> > u-boot ?
>
> Yes, SPL should do the same.
>

> > Because, during SPL stage, the RAM would be mostly free anyway, so would
> > you think, we can just use this lmb check only for u-boot but not for
> SPL ?
>
> No. SPL still needs this check. On some platforms, SPL runs with BSS,
> stack or heap in RAM when executing this, so this is still an attack
> vector that should be prevented.
>
> Even if SPL does not use DRAM (only SRAM), we still have to check that
> we only write into valid DRAM addresses. E.g. a file larger than the
> DRAM would write to whatever comes next in the address range...

Ah, that really makes sense. Sorry, if I'm asking too many basic questions.

Which platform are you running this on, does SPL use a devicetree? In
> any case, you need your SPL to provide the valid RAM range.

I'm using TI's AM335x based custom board, yes the SPL has the minimal
devicetree embedded.

If I understand it correctly, I've to configure my RAM information properly
such that the SPL is able to get the RAM size, reserved size, free size,
etc..,

Thanks again for you patience and time.

Regards,
Moses Christopher