XHCI bringup on the Raspberry Pi 4

Bin Meng bmeng.cn at gmail.com
Fri Apr 3 07:54:19 CEST 2020

Hi Nicolas,

On Thu, Apr 2, 2020 at 1:30 AM Nicolas Saenz Julienne
<nsaenzjulienne at suse.de> wrote:

> Hi All,
> I'm working on enabling the VIA805 XCHI controller found on the new Raspberry
> Pi 4. The controller sits behind a PCIe bus, which I've already implemented[1]
> and will submit once the XCHI issues are resolved, as it's worthless otherwise.
>
> The XHCI initialization gets stuck after issuing the fist 'enable slot'
> command. I've been reviewing the whole init process and comparing it to Linux's
> for days without finding anything fishy. DMA constraints, which are important
> on the RPi are mantained, and on top of that, I can confirm DMA trough PCIe
> works fine as I see two 'port status change' events available in the ring
> before completly stalling. Also note that, unsurprisingly, the CRR bit in the
> CRCR register (which marks the running state of the Command Ring state machine)
> is never set after ringing the relevant doorbell.

This is probably caused by the required structure setup by U-Boot is
viewed as buggy by the xHCI controller, hence there is no response to
the first "enable slot" command.

Could you please compare all the data structures, with the one set up
by the Linux kernel?

BTW: does Linux kernel xHCI driver work on this RPI 4 board?

> I'm clueless at this point, I figure the VIA805 is sensitive to the ordering of
> some of the operations we perform in u-boot, or worse, the timing. For example,
> I tried replicanting Linux's behaviour with regard to 'port status change'
> events, processing them before calling the 'enable slot' command. I also tried
> to mimic Linux by enabling port-0's power (the USB3 port) before starting the
> HC. Again, no luck.
>
> I attached the usb/xhci debug output, any ideas on where to look will be
> apreciated.

Regards,
Bin