ZynqMP boot: no messages from SPL other than "Debug uart enabled"

Major A andras.g.major at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 11:02:04 CEST 2020

Hi Michal,

I've had to take a break because, as it turned out, my ZCU102 was
defective.  Now that I have a working one, I can go on with my
frustrating quest for a bootable image.

So now that the patches to u-boot for the ZCU102 Rev. 1.1 are in git
master, I started again from scratch, building ATF, PMUFW with patch and
config object, and u-boot.

Once the builds finish, I place the files

   spl/boot.bin

and

   u-boot.itb

on the SD card and try to boot.  Sadly, as before, the only result I get
on the first UART channel is a line

   Debug uart enabled

sometimes followed by

   ### ERROR ### Please RESET the board ###

but nothing else.

My suspicion is that the PMUFW or its configuration object isn't right.
I use Luca's code from here to build both:

   https://github.com/lucaceresoli/zynqmp-pmufw-builder.git

I also found an issue here:

https://forums.xilinx.com/t5/ACAP-and-SoC-Boot-and/Booting-ZCU-102-from-SD-Card/td-p/926649

It appears that there are at least two incompatible subrevisions of the
board, both labeled Rev. 1.1.  Could it be that the current PMUFW (or
whatever) just won't work with the current revision?

How do I figure out what the h*** is going on?

Cheers,

   András