U-Boot is broken on real N900 HW

Pali Rohár pali at kernel.org
Sat Apr 25 13:50:45 CEST 2020

On Saturday 25 April 2020 06:36:58 Adam Ford wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 25, 2020 at 5:42 AM Pali Rohár <pali at kernel.org> wrote:

> > > Looks like that something with NAND is broken.

> > > These i2c errors are caused by
> > >
> > >       /* reset lp5523 led */
> > >       i2c_set_bus_num(1);
> > >       state = 0xff;
> > >       i2c_write(0x32, 0x3d, 1, &state, 1);
> > >       i2c_set_bus_num(0);
> > >
> > > Is there anything which needs to be done to initialize i2c bus 1?
> > > Because this code is working fine on older U-Boot version.
> >
> > Above code worked fine for U-Boot 2013.04, but in git version from
> > January 2015 it prints above error messages.
> >
> > On on internet forums I see these error messages also from other OMAP3
> > board, e.g. beagle board.
> >
> > Has somebody some working OMAP3 board? And can test if it works with
> > recent version of U-Boot? I guess that above i2c problem would happen
> > also on other OMAP3 boards.
>
> There was a conversion a while ago to dm_i2c, and I converted my board
> to support using the device tree during the SPL phase, and whenever I
> am aware any driver has driver model (DM) support, I try to convert my
> board.
>
> I have a DM3730 and the last check I did was 2020.04-rc1, and it was working

Ok, so it either OMAP3430 specific problem or N900 board specific
problem. N900 does not use driver model.

Before calling i2c_write(0x32, ...) I tried to call i2c_probe(0x32) and
it returned error.

If I tried to call "i2c dev 1" in U-Boot console, I got tons of errors
and basically U-Boot stopped responding.

So by above observation it looks like I2C bus num 1 does not work, but
I2C bus num 0 works fine.

Do I need to call i2c_probe(...) before calling i2c_write(...)?

And is something special needed for initializing omap i2c bus num 1?
Because from my above observation it looks like that something is
missing for bus 1 which in older u-boot version was not needed.

> U-Boot SPL 2020.04-rc1-01140-ge1dff2d69e-dirty (Feb 15 2020 - 06:18:18 -0600)
> Trying to boot from MMC1
> spl_load_image_fat_os: error reading image args, err - -2
>

> U-Boot 2020.04-rc3-00184-g860eba6a8f-dirty (Mar 26 2020 - 05:43:04 -0500)
>
> OMAP3630/3730-GP ES1.2, CPU-OPP2, L3-200MHz, Max CPU Clock 1 GHz
> Model: LogicPD Zoom DM3730 Torpedo + Wireless Development Kit
> Logic DM37x/OMAP35x reference board + LPDDR/NAND
> DRAM:  256 MiB
> NAND:  512 MiB
> MMC:   OMAP SD/MMC: 0
> OMAP die ID: 619e00029ff800000168300f1502501f
> Net:   eth0: ethernet at 08000000
> Hit any key to stop autoboot:  2
>

> > > Was something changed to OMAP i2c bus code in U-Boot?

> > > And then U-Boot freeze, right?
> > >
> > > Any idea how to debug this issue?
> > >
> > > On my N900 I'm getting "data abort" error on display and then instant
> > > reboot.
> >
> > It looks like that omap hs mmc code cause that freeze/reboot on real HW.
> > Was there some significat change to OMAP3 or omap hs mmc?
>
> I booted by board from MMC as shown above.  I also use the pinctrl
> features from the device tree to mux the pins in U-Boot (not SPL), so
> my SPL only does manual muxing the essential components it needs
> during the SPL phase, and lets U-Boot do the rest.   I only  mention
> the pinmux because of message regarding pads/pull-ups.
>
> adam

I debugged this problem more. I disabled all preboot commands to get
clean U-Boot setup. And it worked.

After I called any "mmc" command (e.g. "mmc info") I got that instant
board reboot. Preboot commands for n900 try to read some files from mmc,
so this is reason why it get into reboot loop.

Is there any reason why "mmc info" command can cause "data abort" and
instant reboot of board?

And do you know what is needed for proper initialization of omap mmc
controller for omap3 board? Because it looks like something fundamental
is missing.

Currently there are just calls for "omap_mmc_init()" functions and
"twl4030_power_mmc_init()" functions. See:
https://gitlab.denx.de/u-boot/u-boot/-/blob/master/board/nokia/rx51/rx51.c