Build error in u-boot-dm/master

Stephen Warren swarren at wwwdotorg.org
Mon Apr 27 20:44:14 CEST 2020

On 4/27/20 11:02 AM, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi Stephen,
>
> On Mon, 27 Apr 2020 at 10:04, Stephen Warren <swarren at wwwdotorg.org> wrote:
>>
>> Simon,
>>
>> All 32-bit Tegra builds of u-boot-dm/master are failing with the
>> following (this log is from Harmony):
>>
>>>   CC      spl/common/spl/spl.o
>>>   CC      spl/lib/display_options.o
>>>   LD      spl/common/spl/built-in.o
>>>   LD      spl/lib/built-in.o
>>>   LD      spl/u-boot-spl
>>>   OBJCOPY spl/u-boot-spl-nodtb.bin
>>>   COPY    spl/u-boot-spl.bin
>>>   BINMAN  u-boot-tegra.bin
>>> binman: bad magic number in 'binman.etype': b'\x03\xf3\r\n'
>>> /var/lib/jenkins/workspace/u-boot-denx_uboot_dm-master-build/src/u-boot/Makefile:1619: recipe for target 'u-boot-tegra.bin' failed
>>> make[1]: *** [u-boot-tegra.bin] Error 1
>
> Oh wow, that is a strange one. Could it be bad Python cache files again?

Ah yes, so it is. I'd forgotten about that, and initially thought it
couldn't be the issue, since the problem only affects some boards not
all, and on my system they're all built in the same source tree
(serially). However, I guess our 64-bit builds don't run the tool that
triggers the problem, so that explains the differences.

Deleting tools/binman/etype/__init__.pyc did solve the issue, and that
file doesn't get re-created if 16287933a8 "binman: Move to absolute
imports" is applied.

Do you know what causes the issue, or how it can be avoided?

Maybe running "git clean -fdx" on the source tree before building would
be a workaround, but I'd rather solve the root-cause if possible.