Image too large: increase CONFIG_SYS_BOOTM_LEN

Meghavi Parikh parikh.meghavi1209 at gmail.com
Tue Apr 28 15:15:22 CEST 2020

Hi,

I am trying to prepare Verified U-BOOT on a BeagleBone Black.

Briefly these are the steps I am following:

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=${CC} am335x_evm_defconfig

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=${CC} all

then,

make sandbox_defconfig tools-only

For the Linux Kernel, I am trying (from BBB's official repo:
https://github.com/beagleboard/linux):

make bb.org_defconfig
make uImage dtbs LOADADDR=80008000 -j 4

Then, after uploading these files to the BBB, I am facing the following error:

   Booting using the fdt blob at 0x82aae18c
   Uncompressing Kernel Image
Image too large: increase CONFIG_SYS_BOOTM_LEN
Must RESET board to recover
resetting ...

Then, I modified the source code
https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/blob/d16d37bcd4087b8ea0f66cb76a73edad182d151a/common/bootm.c#L322
to print the size by adding one line.

printf("Image too large: increase CONFIG_SYS_BOOTM_LEN:
0x%lx\nRequired Size minimum: 0x%lx\n", CONFIG_SYS_BOOTM_LEN,
uncomp_size);

At this point, I have already set:

#define CONFIG_SYS_BOOTM_LEN    0x1A7D8C0

And this is the error I am getting:

   Booting using the fdt blob at 0x82aae18c
   Uncompressing Kernel Image
Image too large: increase CONFIG_SYS_BOOTM_LEN: 0x1000000
Required Size minimum: 0x1000000
Must RESET board to recover
resetting ...

You can follow the issue that I have raised on github with the
beaglebone team on this link to get exact details for the problem:
https://github.com/beagleboard/linux/issues/231

Is there some mistake that I am doing here? Why is the size showing
0x1000000 when I am setting it to 0x1A7D8C0? The size of the
uncompressed Image that is created is around 20MB which is larger than
0x1000000.

Thanks,

Meghavi Parikh