[yocto] Support UBI u-boot

Gabriele Zampieri gabbla.malist at gmail.com
Thu Feb 6 12:11:01 CET 2020

Hi,

On Thu, Feb 6, 2020 at 11:07 AM JH <jupiter.hce at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks Gabriele and Andy,
>
> On 2/6/20, Gabriele Zampieri <gabbla.malist at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi JH,
> >
> > have you tried what we suggested you in your last thread? More
> specifically
> > adding your defconfig and tweaking it through menuconfig. and then
> specify
> > the UBOOT_MACHINE.
>
> Yes, as I posted in another thread, the MTD, UBI are all set in my
> Linux kernel defconfig, I have also added UBOOT_CONFIG = "nand" in my
> layer machine config.

What I missed is u-boot overlay, as you and Andy alluded. I added
> UBOOT_CONFIG[nand] += "mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config", but strange
> enough, that mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config, did not set CONFIG_CMD_UBI
> in its config.

Sorry, I never tried that approach.

> I think I need to add an appended recipes-bsp to my layer just like I
> added the recipes-kernel to my layer to overwrite kernel defconfig, I
> need to overwrite u-boot defconfig.
>
> In kernel, to overwrite defconfig, I run bitbake -c menuconfig
> virtual/kernel, how can I generate u-boot defconfig, to run bitbake -c
> menuconfig u-boot?

As far as I know uboot (usually virtual/bootloader) does not have a task to
run menuconfig directly from bitbake.
I usually have a local clone of uboot and I simply run `make [...]
menuconfig|savedefconfig` , then I create a patch
to add my defconfig (custom_defconfig) to configs/ and specify
UBOOT_MACHINE = "custom_defconfig"

Thank you.

> Kind regards,
>
> - jh