Support UBI u-boot

JH jupiter.hce at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 05:32:59 CET 2020

Hi Andy,

On 2/6/20, Andy Pont <andy.pont at sdcsystems.com> wrote:
> JH wrote...
>

>>I added NAND and UBIFS support to my Yocto layer machine config file:
>>
>>UBOOT_CONFIG = "nand"
>>UBOOT_CONFIG[nand] += "mx6ull_14x14_evk_config"
>>UBOOT_CONFIG[nand] += "mx6ull_14x14_evk_nand_config"
>>UBOOT_CONFIG[nand] += "ubi"
>>UBOOT_CONFIG[nand] += "ubifs"
>>
>>But my u-boot.imx-nand still could not support ubi:
>>
>>=> ubi part rootfs
>>Unknown command 'ubi' - try ‘help’
> You need to start to read through the various sources to figure out for
> yourself what is going on!
>
> Starting from the bottom, in U-Boot 2017.03 all of the command sources
> are in the “cmd” directory. The “ubi …” command are all in ubi.c.
> Reading cmd/Makefile shows that file gets added into the build if
> CONFIG_CMD_UBI is enabled.

You are right, that CONFIG_CMD_UBI is not enabled, but I could not
find any conf or bb files I could change or enable CONFIG_CMD_UBI in
meta-freescale layer.

Desperately, I hacked to run "make menuconfig" at U-Boot 2017.03 build
directory, selected and enabled CONFIG_CMD_UBI and saved to .config
file in that build directory, but then to run bitbake to build u-boot
again, the .config was removed and replaced by an old one disabled
CONFIG_CMD_UBI again.

Other people recommended to build u-boot in a standalone environment
out of OE / Yocto build system. Since I have set up everything in OE /
Yocto environment, I thought it could be easier if I could modify one
line of u-boot config file in a recipe.

Any idea where is the recipe in meta-freescale to allow me to change /
enable CONFIG_CMD_UBI?

Am I the only one unable to change u-boot config file in OE / Yoctu
build? That makes me very sad :-(.

> The next place to look is whether or not that is set in your defconfig
> for U-Boot or overwritten somewhere in a recipe in your Yocto build
> environment.

Yeah, I'll been searched all day, could not find a recipe Yocto build
environment, I was told OE / Yocto does not have that stack and
mechanism to set and change u-boot config, is it true?

Thank you very much.

Kind regards,

- jh