[U-Boot] [RFC] cmd: add bootslot command to select/boot slot based on boot counts

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Sun Feb 16 16:33:55 CET 2020

Dear Martin,

In message <20180713123413.4115-1-martin at geanix.com> you wrote:
> The existing bootcount feature is targeted systems with a primary, and a
> rescue boot setup, where the number of boot tries to the primary boot is
> tracked. If the number exceeds the limit, the alternative/rescue is
> booted.

This is not a correct summary of the current implementation.  If
the boot count exceeds the limit, some _alternative_boot_command_ is
executed.

The trivial case is to boot another image / partion or such.

Butt nothing prevents you to run any more sophisticated scripts
here.

> This patch adds support for a more sophisticated setup, where more than
> two boot slots can exist, and the order of slots can be configured.

This can easily implemented with a few lines of shell code as well.

>  3 files changed, 268 insertions(+)

I think it makes no sense to add a lot of code that can be
implemented as a few lines of shell scripts as well, especially as
this code is neither time critical nor has the potential of becoming
widely used.

NAKed-by: Wolfgang Denk <wd at denx.de>

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way  is  to
make  it  so  simple that there are obviously no deficiencies and the
other is to make it so complicated that there are  no  obvious  defi-
ciencies.                             - Charles Anthony Richard Hoare