[cmd]:"env edit" vs "env set", do we need both options for "env" command ??

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Fri Feb 28 15:39:48 CET 2020

Dear Adarsh Babu Kalepalli,

In message <CAJgxa7dq+o4KnPMubf-aAeLYjfSpSCr3LF4L0fFSyX0NUxT29w at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> Are'nt "env edit" vs "env set" redundant ??.

No, they are not.

> "env edit" allows modification of the environment variable value in the
> next line,whereas "env set" requires the mention of the environment
> variable value in the same line.

"env edit" is an _interactive_ command. You cannot use it in
scripts, for example.

> Can we have only one of these commands ??.

No, they serve very different purposes.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
A good aphorism is too hard for the tooth of time, and  is  not  worn
away  by  all  the  centuries,  although  it serves as food for every
epoch.                                  - Friedrich Wilhelm Nietzsche
                          _Miscellaneous Maxims and Opinions_ no. 168