U-Boot: wandboard ethernet problem with newest mainline

Heiko Schocher hs at denx.de
Thu Jan 9 12:33:03 CET 2020

Hello Fabio,

Am 09.01.2020 um 12:14 schrieb Fabio Estevam:
> Hi Heiko,
>
> On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 5:26 AM Heiko Schocher <hs at denx.de> wrote:
>
>> Hmm.. I wonder ... if you want to detect the revd1, you must
>> access the pmic in SPL, so you need a DTS in which it is
>> configured, also DM PMIC support in SPL ... which introduces a
>> lot of dependencies starting with enabling CONFIG_SPL_DM and
>> blows up SPL ... :-(
>
> Yes, as we are very memory limited in SPL, so what about just probing
> the I2C bus directly at 0x8 via I2C API to detect the presence of the
> PMIC?
>
> This way we do not need DM PMIC support in SPL.

Yes, i had such a hack also ...

> Do we need to mark I2C with 'u-boot,dm-pre-reloc;' too and create a
> arch/arm/dts/imx6qdl-wandboard-u-boot.dtsi ?

see my patches, I added there such u-boot files. Unfortunately a
imx6qdl-wandboard-u-boot.dtsi did not worked, I needed 2 files.

>> 2 problems I see:
>>
>> - reorder board_fit_config_name_match
>>
>>     see attached patch: 0001-wandboard-reorder-board_fit_config_name_match.patch
>>
>>     With this patch (based on your patches) and hack [2] U-Boot works also again.
>>
>> - detect rev D1 board (remaining problem)
>>
>>     board_fit_config_name_match() is called from board_fit_config_name_match,
>>     so from SPL where you have no access (yet?) to pmic_get(), and so
>>     is_revd1() is always 0 -> which leads to wrong DTB selection.
>>
>>     First question: other possibility to detect revision D1 ?
>>
>>     may only probing the chip is enough ?
>
> As far as I know probing the PMIC chip is the only way to detect D1.

Ok, so we must find a way for it ...

>>     Should we use instead CONFIG_DTB_RESELECT ?
>
> Not familiar with CONFIG_DTB_RESELECT, sorry.
>

>>     This is the way to go I think, added patches:
>>     0002-wandboard-enable-CONFIG_DTB_RESELECT.patch
>>     0003-wandboard-use-imx6dl-wandboard-revd1-as-default-DTB.patch
>>     0004-wandboard-add-u-boot-specific-wandboard-revd1-u-boot.patch
>>     0005-wandboard-in-SPL-use-only-D1-DTB.patch
>>
>>     with them, after a soft reset all works fine, see [3] but
>>     on power on I see [4] :-(
>>
>>     Any idea, why after a power on, pmic does not work?
>
> Interesting, I do not see this behavior with a imx6qp wandboard revd1.
>
> I have seen I2C errors when booting with an HDMI cable connected:
> https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2019-December/393503.html
>
> ,but haven't had a chance to debug this yet.

Ok, may I find more time for it...

If you have time, may I can ask, if you can test my patches, if they
do not break other board revisions?

Many thanks!

bye,
Heiko