RFC: Partition type GUID for U-Boot environment

Rasmus Villemoes rasmus.villemoes at prevas.dk
Tue Nov 17 11:05:36 CET 2020

Hi,

Would it make sense to choose a canonical "Partition type GUID" [1] for
partitions used to store a U-Boot environment?

The partition type is mostly informational, but I'm thinking it might
make sense to have some canonical thing to put into an image definition
rather than having the tool use something random or a default which
would often be "Linux filesystem data".

If so, I propose 3de21764-95bd-54bd-a5c3-4abe786f38a8 , which is from
https://www.uuidtools.com/v5 with a namespace of
25cbcde0-8642-47c6-a298-1a3a57cd256b (randomly generated just now, but
should be used for future v5 uuids within U-Boot context [2]) and name
"U-Boot environment" (sans quotes).

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GUID_Partition_Table#Partition_type_GUIDs
[2]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Universally_unique_identifier#Versions_3_and_5_(namespace_name-based)