Porting U-Boot to a QCA9531 board?

Richard Thanki rich at janga.la
Wed Nov 18 18:54:50 CET 2020

Hi Heinrich

> On 18 Nov 2020, at 17:27, Heinrich Schuchardt <xypron.debian at gmx.de> wrote:
>

> The driver will not be compiled because your config does not select
> CONFIG_AG7XXX.

So clear when you point it out. I’ll modify this, and retest, thank you.

>> - With OpenWrt 18.06 (Kernel 4.4 - ar71xx mach target) and 19.07 (kernel 4.14 -
>>  ath79 dts target) the boot process doesn't complete and stalls at [link]. With
>>  OpenWrt Master (5.4) the boot process completes but the system displays the
>>  following issues: -- Within OpenWrt the watchdog timer (usually on GPIO 2)
>>  does not respond to writes on sysfs and therefore the device reboots every 4
>>  minutes -- The second USB hub on the board is not detected by OpenWrt during
>>  boot and therefore some devices do not come up on the operating system such as
>>  the modem.
>
> These seem to be questions about Linux configuration, not U-Boot.

Sorry, I think we phrased this badly. We only get these issues when using mainline U-Boot
and not a) the manufacturer default bootloader or b) the Pepe2K mod - both of which work
perfectly with our test images. In each case we’re using the same OpenWrt OS images
we’ve built ourselves between the tests with these different botloaders.

I guess the deeper understanding we’re trying to get to is the proper relationship between
bootloader and Linux:

- Why would the very same OpenWrt image be able to find and use the USB hub or make
use of GPIO 2 using these other two U-Boot variants but not mainline?
- Does this point to us not performing important set-up steps in U-Boot or does our problem
  lie in our OpenWrt setup? (If the latter, why do these other U-Boots work properly?)
- Are we stumbling into a common beginners’ problem?

All the best

Rich