Are dt-bindings headers part of the device tree spec?

Sean Anderson seanga2 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 16:53:26 CET 2021

Hi all,

I'm reviewing a clock driver [1], and the submitter has deviated from
the defines used by Linux. For example, where Linux might have

	#define CLOCK_FOOBAR 5

his driver might have

	#define CLK_FUBAR 6

Which means that both the device tree source and the resulting device
tree binary will be different.

As I understand it, we try to be compatible with Linux on these things.
However, it is unclear to me if include/dt-bindings is also part of
this, or just the things in Documentation/devicetree/bindings. And if it
is, do we need to have compatible sources, compatible binaries, or both?
In general, I think we should try to have the same headers as well, but
is it permitted to allow deviations with reasonable justification?

--Sean

[1] https://lore.kernel.org/u-boot/de6e75a083647dfeec3058dd4dcc0419b08e155c.1637285375.git.weijie.gao@mediatek.com/