Boot Linux FIT image from SPL

Sven Schwermer sven at svenschwermer.de
Thu Dec 30 22:22:14 CET 2021

Hi Fabio,

Thank you for the hint. That's a _very_ useful document. In the
meantime, I have been able to boot my Linux FIT image straight from SPL
on my i.MX6ULL platform.

I have, however, noticed that Linux boots much faster when launched from
u-boot proper compared to SPL. Time to (initramfs) init is 1.2s vs. 5s.
That is with identical FIT images (kernel, device tree, initramfs,
kernel command line). I ruled out differing core clock rates (both run
at 396MHz), caches (caches seem to be disabled before handing over to
Linux) and differing load addresses (might cause additional relocations,
copies).

What other setup could u-boot proper do that would make Linux boot
faster that I haven't thought about?

Best regards,
Sven