Devicetree state of U-Boot vs kernel

Neil Armstrong narmstrong at baylibre.com
Wed Jan 13 14:30:03 CET 2021

Hi,

On 08/01/2021 01:39, Bill Mills wrote:
> All,
>
> On the Devicetree evolution call Wednesday I promised to finish my comparison of u-boot DT vs kernel DT.
> The script is not perfect but the results are still interesting.
>
> For each dts and dtsi file in the tip of the u-boot tree, it tries to correlate it to the kernel tip.
> It compares git SHA1 signatures or falls back to filenames.
> The results were surprising to me but perhaps they should not have been.
>
> I have checked in the script[1] and the full results here [2]
>
> The full file lists (with some diff stats) are in the root dir.
> Example [3]
>
> I also looked at the line count of the u-boot override files.
> Even though we don't expect these to correlate, we do expect reasonable usage to result in small files.  Big files are an indication of possible abuse of the system.  (I don't think the idea was to have wholesale new versions of the DTS as an override.)
>
> I plan to redo the script in python.  It will be much easier to be more precise and to look deeper.  (For example figure out how old the u-boot version is in number of change sets and number of days.  Or if no content sync now were they ever synced?)
>
> Here is the scripts output: (from summary.txt)
>
> Devicetree sync status for u-boot v2021.01-rc5-7-gb8c725e736
> Compared to kernel v5.11-rc2-156-g71c061d24438

Do not compare with a such kernel, usually DT is sync'ed from stable kernels, or -rc1, so 5.11 stuff will eventually go for next u-boot release, not the actual one.

We (amlogic/meson) will sync part of DT with 5.10 for next release, the previous is sync'ed to 5.9/5.8.

It's almost impossible to sync to each release.

Neil