Bug tracking

Pratyush Yadav p.yadav at ti.com
Thu Mar 25 20:38:45 CET 2021

On 25/03/21 11:14AM, Simon Glass wrote:
> Hi,
>
> What do people think of setting up a bug tracker on gitlab.com or
> github.com? They both allow anyone to register and thus file bugs.

You would need people to maintain the bugs that are reported in the
tracker. Asking for clear, reproducible info, closing duplicates or old
bugs, etc. Then you need people dedicated to fixing those bugs. Sure,
some can be taken up by subsystem maintainers or active devs, but what
to do with the ones that aren't?

My point is, having a bug tracker needs volunteers to help maintain it.
Otherwise it would not be very useful and important bugs would get
drowned in the noise or be left stale. We can experiment with it but we
need to keep in mind the extra effort required.

> Another option is to use source.denx.de but that would require
> allowing anyone to register so is probably a non-starter.

Honestly, source.denx.de makes the most sense to me. I would expect the
Gitlab instance where the repo is hosted to also be where the bug
tracker is hosted. Makes it much easier to find.

But if allowing anyone to register is a no-go, then I would prefer
something decentralized/non-proprietary to keep the project independent
of the host. But people generally aren't very enthusiastic about those
because the proprietary solutions are just so easy to use...

--
Regards,
Pratyush Yadav