Zynq MPSoC Dynamic DDR DIMM Configuration support

Jorge Ramirez-Ortiz, Foundries jorge at foundries.io
Fri May 14 09:38:24 CEST 2021

On 13/05/21, Michal Simek wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > we prefer to have a common boot strategy on all the boards we support
> > (whether it is from NXP, Xilinx, ST or TI); it just simplifies the OTA
> > process (including their firmwares); and of course our meta layers.

> >> Actually it is not working like this. PMU FW is own part of boot.bin and
> >> it is not embed in SPL.
> >
> > yes, absolutely (boot.bin is what we have been flashing), holding SPL and FW

> >> PMU cfg object.
> >
> > yep, pm_cfg_obj.c
> >

> >> and finally,
> >>
> >> yes.

> >> This was developed for zcu102 and maybe others boards which have DIMM
> >> modules where origin part were EOL.
> >
> > right.
> >
> > but notice that there is also support on u-boot for
> > altera/imx/marvell/microchip; so just wondering if we should add
> > drivers/ddr/xilinx to this list.
>
> Also SPD code is around too.

> >> I am not aware about any work on SPL side to support this. IIRC FSBL
> >> didn't have generic DDR configuration. It was only by reading SPD and
> >> aligned some parameters but it is quite a long time I have looked at it
> >> last time.
> >
> > ok

> >> The question is why you need this feature to be there. It is not working
> >> for every DIMM module. And normally if you have custom boards you need
> >> just one DDR configuration (or limited number based on HW versions) and
> >> for that there is really no need to waste your boot up time on it.
> >
> > not sure what you mean. we need this feature because it adds the
> > expected flexibility to the bootloader. Sure, we can hardcode DDR
> > configurations but why should we when it can be resolved by
> > software. Am I missing your point?
>
> Ok. One is support for evaluation boards and the second for a product.
> In product you don't need this because I would say most of projects are
> not using DIMMs.
> If you want to support generic evaluations boards then of course it can
> be done.
>

> >> You can add multiple configurations to psu_init_gpl() and based on any
> >> information (board rev/pins/etc) decided which one should be used.
> >
> > so what you are suggesting is that we customize psu_init_gpl() to the
> > target (ie, have an updated xsa file with whatever config we need for
> > this system).
>
> In products yes.
>

> > what I fail to grasp is why we can't take a step forward and do what
> > we do for other architectures in u-boot. and what fsbl already does by
> > config.
> >
> > I mean, why not? do you foresee any integration issues with the
> > current bootflow?
>
> Not really if you are willing to write that code just go for it.
> I think it is definitely feasible to do so but I haven't seen any
> algorithm to do it in generic way even there must be one behind in
> xilinx tools. There are a lot of types of memories which you can
> configure in xilinx design tools but it won't be any problem to limit it

ok. unfortunately I am not sure when - we have tight deadlines on this
product so we will just update psu_init().

In fact, and this is relevant as well to keep in mind for a future
TO-DO list, the issue we were having was not due to the dynamic
configuration of DDR but to the fact that the DDR on this product is
ECC (and ECC, when enabled in the DDR controller must be initialized
_after_ psu_init() has run - which is something that FSBL does but SPL
doesnt).

So we will just disable ECC for the time being and will send a patch
once we come around to do it (or with a bit of luck someone will beat
me to it and I will just pick it up from the next u-boot release)