Uboot raspberry pi watchdog disabled by mistake

Laurentiu-Cristian Duca laurentiu.duca at gmail.com
Wed May 26 11:39:04 CEST 2021

Hello uboot community,

  In 2019, commit [1] deleted commit [2].
Commit [2] implemented the watchdog feature for raspberry pi.
The delete reason is, I quote, "The BCM2835/2836 watchdog is not used
in mainline U-Boot at all".

  I am using commit [2] in conjunction with bootlimit:
- uboot increments bootcount, enables watchdog and boots linux using bootcmd
- if linux hangs, the watchdog resets the board
- in uboot, if bootcount > bootlimit then boot using altbootcmd and
boots another partition
with linux

  So, there is use of commit [2] and I consider that commit [1] is a mistake.

[1] https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2019-May/369007.html
[2] https://lists.denx.de/pipermail/u-boot/2017-January/279573.html

Thank you,
L-C. Duca