[RFC 07/22] dm: blk: add UCLASS_PARTITION

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Fri Nov 5 03:02:05 CET 2021

Hi,

On Tue, 2 Nov 2021 at 01:43, Heinrich Schuchardt <xypron.glpk at gmx.de> wrote:

> On 11/1/21 03:14, Simon Glass wrote:
> > Hi Takahiro,
> >
> > On Sun, 31 Oct 2021 at 19:52, AKASHI Takahiro
> > <takahiro.akashi at linaro.org> wrote:

> >> Do you want to invent linux-like mount-point concepts or procfs?
> >> I remember that you didn't want to have child nodes under BLK devices.
> >> I'm getting confused about our goal.
> >
> > I think we are all a bit unsure.
> >
> > I think BLK devices can have children, sorry if I said the wrong thing
> > somewhere along the way. For example, a partition would be under a BLK
> > device, or a FS.
> >
> >> What should DM represent in U-Boot world?
> >
> > That is what we are trying to figure out.
> >
> > I think the minimum is to have a a way to represent partitions (s/w
> > and hw/). As I understand it, that's what we've been discussing.
>
> The discovery of hardware partitions is specific to the block device
> controller SCSI/MMC/ATA/NVMe. We currently do not provide any
> manipulation commands to create hardware partitions (e.g. NVMe
> namespaces, SCSI LUNs). This is why extracting a uclass for hardware
> partitions does not seem necessary.

I can see the reasoning here. It might not stand the test of time but
how about we go with it for now? For MMC hardware partition we would
just end up with multiple BLK devices, like we do with SCSI LUNs at
present, which seems like it should work (with some code tweaks).

> Software partitioning (MBR, GPT, ...) is independent of the harboring
> block device.
>
> We already have a set of drivers for software partition tables in disk/.
> Currently the available methods of the drivers are defined in
> U_BOOT_PART_TYPE referring to struct part_driver.
>
> Currently struct part_driver knows only the following methods:
>
> - get_info()
> - print()
> - test()
>
> These drivers should be ome a uclass.
>
> gpt.c and mbr.c allow to create and delete partitions. I think we should add
>
> - create_partition()
> - delete_partition()
>
> to the uclass methods.

That sounds good to me, although since it is a partition uclass, we
can just use create() and delete().

> The partitions handled by cmd/mtdparts.c, cmd/nand.c are also software
> partitions. The difference to MBR, GPT is that the partition table is
> held in memory and not on disk. These partitions could be modeled in the
> same uclass.

For future work!

Regards,
SImon