[RFC 07/22] dm: blk: add UCLASS_PARTITION

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Fri Nov 5 17:12:16 CET 2021

Hi Takahiro,

On Thu, 4 Nov 2021 at 20:49, AKASHI Takahiro <takahiro.akashi at linaro.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 04, 2021 at 08:02:05PM -0600, Simon Glass wrote:
> > Hi,

> > > The discovery of hardware partitions is specific to the block device
> > > controller SCSI/MMC/ATA/NVMe. We currently do not provide any
> > > manipulation commands to create hardware partitions (e.g. NVMe
> > > namespaces, SCSI LUNs). This is why extracting a uclass for hardware
> > > partitions does not seem necessary.
> >
> > I can see the reasoning here. It might not stand the test of time but
> > how about we go with it for now? For MMC hardware partition we would
> > just end up with multiple BLK devices, like we do with SCSI LUNs at
> > present, which seems like it should work (with some code tweaks).
> >

> > > Software partitioning (MBR, GPT, ...) is independent of the harboring
> > > block device.
> > >
> > > We already have a set of drivers for software partition tables in disk/.
> > > Currently the available methods of the drivers are defined in
> > > U_BOOT_PART_TYPE referring to struct part_driver.
> > >
> > > Currently struct part_driver knows only the following methods:
> > >
> > > - get_info()
> > > - print()
> > > - test()
> > >
> > > These drivers should be ome a uclass.
> > >
> > > gpt.c and mbr.c allow to create and delete partitions. I think we should add
> > >
> > > - create_partition()
> > > - delete_partition()
> > >
> > > to the uclass methods.
> >
> > That sounds good to me, although since it is a partition uclass, we
> > can just use create() and delete().
>
> I don't know why we need a "partition table" device in the middle
> of DM hierarchy.
> I believe that it simply makes the view of DM tree complicated
> without any explicit benefit.

Well we clearly have an API here. The partition uclass can:

- hold the partition table in dev_get_uclass_priv()
- support a read() operation to read the partition
- support create() to rewrite the partition table
- support delete() to overwrite/erase the partition table

Then it means that filesystems have the partition table as a parent
(unless they are whole-device filesystems), which makes sense

So that's why I like the idea.

Other than the extra complexity, is there anything else wrong with it?

Regards,
Simon