[RFC 0/2] Do not stop with an error when mkimage fails

Wolfgang Denk wd at denx.de
Thu Nov 11 13:24:05 CET 2021

Dear Heiko,

In message <CAEyMn7Y7t63GwPLNd-CSZiHanE_UmpOReYS1cFAz8sq0M=EYmA at mail.gmail.com> you wrote:

> > Sorry, but this makes no sense to me.  If there is an error, it
> > should be reported and - if possible - handled.  If this is not
> > possible, then the correct thing is to abort.  Ignoring errors and
> > trying to continue is always the worst thing to do.
>
> The only reason I want to introduce this is because I want to have my
> imx8mq board built by CI. This board needs an external HDMI firmware
> which is used by mkimage. But because this firmware is not available
> in the CI build, it comes to the abort. With other boards it is also
> so that in the CI external blobs are not available and these make
> nevertheless without error a binman run. In this case only a warning
> is output.
>
> I know this is not a perfect solution but I don't know how to get my
> board merged without doing this kind of workaround for the U-Boot CI.

It's not only not a perfect solution, it is the intentional
introduction of a bug, and thus totally unacceptable.

If there is a file missing in the CI, then add/create it there.

But do remove necessary error handling which would cause hard to
detec failures when for normal use.

Phone: (+49)-8142-66989-10 Fax: (+49)-8142-66989-80 Email: wd at denx.de
The moral of the story is: "Don't stop to  tighten  your  shoe  laces
during the Olympics 100m finals".
                             - Kevin Jones in <DEJo68.K1t at bri.hp.com>