ignore more files in Git?

Rasmus Villemoes rasmus.villemoes at prevas.dk
Tue Nov 30 21:21:08 CET 2021

On 30/11/2021 17.02, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2021 at 05:39:36PM +0200, Andy Shevchenko wrote:

>>> These files are products of `make O=...`. There are no issues when I
>>> build inside the tree (dunno why). But I definitely won't build in the
>>> source tree folder.
>>
>> I realized that I might be unclear about the point.
>> The problem here is that the source tree becomes dirty after clear
>> instruction to get all temporary stuff out of the tree folder.
>
> *shakes fist at python* I don't know if that's changeable behavior or
> not, it would be good to know and document / address if possible.  Maybe
> the kernel folks have had to figure out this problem already?

We could probably set and export PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE in the main
Makefile when doing an out-of-tree build. Or maybe one could play around
with setting PYTHONPYCACHEPREFIX based on O=, though that seems to be
for 3.8+, so probably not everybody has that. Of course neither of those
should be touched by the build system if already set in the incoming
environment.

https://docs.python.org/3/using/cmdline.html#envvar-PYTHONDONTWRITEBYTECODE

Rasmus