Broken build with disabling OpenSSL crypto

Jernej Škrabec jernej.skrabec at gmail.com
Sun Oct 10 13:04:34 CEST 2021

Hi!

Dne četrtek, 07. oktober 2021 ob 21:41:00 CEST je Tom Rini napisal(a):
> On Wed, Oct 06, 2021 at 11:27:43PM +0200, Jernej Škrabec wrote:
>
> > Hi everyone!
> >
> > Commit cb9faa6f98ae ("tools: Use a single target-independent config to
enable
> > OpenSSL") recently introduced option to disable usage of OpenSSL via
> > CONFIG_TOOLS_LIBCRYPTO. However, just a bit later, another commit
b4f3cc2c42d9
> > ("tools: kwbimage: Do not hide usage of secure header under
> > CONFIG_ARMADA_38X") made U-Boot tools hard dependent on OpenSSL. That
totally
> > defeats the purpose of first commit. I suggest that it gets reverted.
> >
> > I would like disable OpenSSL for my usage, since it gives me troubles when
> > cross-compiling U-Boot inside LibreELEC build system. It's not needed for
our
> > case anyway.
>
> How hard is it to specify openssl as a dependency for U-Boot, in the
> LibreELEC build system?  I assume openssl is being used in other parts
> of the build anyhow.  Thanks!

Sure, OpenSSL package is present and we fixed issue with pkg-config in the
meantime (it picked target paths instead for the host). However, that doesn't
change anything. CONFIG_TOOLS_LIBCRYPTO is still borked and should be either
fixed or dropped. I prefer first option because OpenSSL dependency can be
removed and that allows more concurrency (multiple packages are built at the
same time).

Best regards,
Jernej