how to run u-boot on qemu arm64 virt machine?

ckim at etri.re.kr ckim at etri.re.kr
Tue Oct 12 06:46:33 CEST 2021

Hello, u-boot mail list members,

I'm trying to run u-boot on qemu arm64 virt machine to analyze how the S/W
runs.

I followed "doc/board/emulation/qemu-arm.rst", and here is what I did.

For qemu build (using qemu-2.9.0), I did under ~/QEMU/qemu directory,

mkdir build; cd build; ../configure --target-list=aarch64-softmmu
--enable-debug --enable-gtk --disable-werror; make -j24

to build u-boot, I did under ~/U-BOOT/u-boot,

make ARCH=arm CROSS_COMPILE=aarch64-none-elf- qemu_arm64_defconfig

To run u-boot on qemu, I did under ~/U-BOOT/u-boot

~/QEMU/qemu/build/aarch64-softmmu/qemu-system-aarch64 -M virt -cpu
cortex-a57 -bios u-boot.bin

But I see only qemu manager window and I don't know how to proceed.

Am I not supposed to see u-boot program running?

What am I doing wrong? Any help will be really appreciated.

Thank you.

Chan Kim