External dts building

Giulio Benetti giulio.benetti at benettiengineering.com
Thu Oct 14 23:12:43 CEST 2021

Hi Simon,

> Il giorno 14 ott 2021, alle ore 22:43, Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org> ha scritto:
>
> Hi Giulio,
>
>> On Thu, 14 Oct 2021 at 13:23, Giulio Benetti
>> <giulio.benetti at benettiengineering.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi Simon,

>>> Hi,

>>> Are you using 'make DEVICE_TREE=xxx' ?
>>
>> Yes but it doesn’t work if you don’t add an entry into arch/arm/dts/Makefile
>> Before version 2020.01 worked, but not after it.
>
> What board are you building?

A20-OLinuXino-Lime_defconfig for but without CONFIG_DEFAULT_DEVICE_TREE undefined,
so if you try to pass DEVICE_TREE= pointing to an external .dts file copied to arch/arm/dts/ make doesn’t find the entry in Makefile and it can’t build it.

This is useful in build systems like Buildroot where you can provide an external defconfig as well as an external .dts file.

So here the solution I see is to create an entry in arch/arm/dts/Makefile on the top of the file afte copying the .dts file we want to build.
But on Buildroot they’ve pointed me to ask upstream(here) if there’s a more canonical way or to work together to achieve the goal:

https://patchwork.ozlabs.org/project/buildroot/patch/20210209201303.195093-1-giulio.benetti@benettiengineering.com/

Sorry if this e-mail is html but I’m on mobile :-/

Best regards
Giulio Benetti