buildman stops (crashed) on current master

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Wed Oct 20 00:53:25 CEST 2021

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 05:39:12PM +0200, Stefano Babic wrote:
> Hi Simon,
>
> On 07.10.21 15:43, Simon Glass wrote:
> > Hi Stefano,
> >
> > On Thu, 7 Oct 2021 at 04:37, Stefano Babic <sbabic at denx.de> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > CI stops by building aarch64 without notice, for reference:
> > >
> > > https://source.denx.de/u-boot/custodians/u-boot-imx/-/jobs/332319
> > >
> > > There is no error, just process is killed. It looks like it stops at
> > > xilinx_zynqmp_virt,
> > >
> > > ./tools/buildman/buildman -o /tmp -P -E -W aarch64but board can be built
> > > without issues.
> > >
> > > If I build on my host (not in docker, anyway), it generally builds fine
> > > - but it crashes sometimes, too. On gitlab instance , it crashes.
> > > Issue does not seem that depends on merged patches, and introduces
> > > boards were already built successfully. Any hint ? I have also no idea
> > > what I should look as what I see is just
> > >
> > > "usr/bin/bash: line 104:    24 Killed
> > > ./tools/buildman/buildman -o /tmp -P -E -W aarch64"
> >
> > I cannot see that link. I am not sure what is going on. Does it say
> > what signal killed it?
>
> Pipelines on our server were not public - I have enbaled now for u-boot-imx.
>

> > Does it sit there for an hour and timeout? If so, then I  did see that
> > myself once recently, when the Kconfig needed stdin, but I could not
> > quitetie it down. I think buildman would provide it, but sometimes
> > not, apparently. So it can happen when there is an existing build
> > there and your new one which adds Kconfig options that don't have
> > defaults, or something like that?
> >

> I have investigated further, and I can reproduce it on my host outside the
> gitlab server. buildman causes a OOM, but I cannot find the cause.
>
> Strange enough, this happens with the "aarch64" target, and I cannot
> reproduce it with Tom's master. So it seems that -master is ok, and somethin
> on u-boot-imx generates the OOM.
>
> However....
>
> The OOM happens always when -2 (two boards remain) appears. I can see with
> htop that buildman starts to allocate memory until it is exhausted (64GB RAM
> + 8 GB swap). Then the kernel decides that it is enough and kills buildman -
> this is what I see on Ci.
>
> You can see now the pipelines:
>
> https://source.denx.de/u-boot/custodians/u-boot-imx/-/pipelines/9520
>
> I have then split aarch64 and I built imx8 separately - same result. The
> pipeline stops with xilinx board, but they have nothing to do. In fact, I
> can build all xilinx board separately. If I run buildman -W aarch64 -x
> xilinx, OOM is shown by another board.
>
> Strange enough, I can build each single board with buildman without issues,
> neither errors nor warnongs. Just when buildman runs all together (aarch64,
> 308 boards), the OOM is generated.
>
> Bisect does not help: I started bisect, and at the end this commit was
> presented:
>
> commit 53a24dee86fb72ae41e7579607bafe13442616f2
> Author: Fabio Estevam <festevam at denx.de>
> [...]

I strongly suspect what's going on here is that these new defconfigs are
out of sync with changes now in Kconfig.  The build itself will just sit
there, waiting for the "oldconfig" prompt to be answered.

I want to say the problem here is that stdin is open, rather than
pointing to something closed and would lead to the build failing
immediately, rather than once a timeout is hit, or OOM kicks in due to
kconfig chewing up all the memory.

--
Tom