Pull request: u-boot-sunxi/master for 2021.10 - 2nd part

Andre Przywara andre.przywara at arm.com
Fri Oct 29 12:53:40 CEST 2021

On Mon, 25 Oct 2021 14:29:10 -0400
Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:

Hi Tom,

> On Mon, Oct 25, 2021 at 03:06:58PM +0100, Andre Przywara wrote:
>
> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > please pull the second sunxi PR for the 2021.10 merge window.
> > I decided to merge most of Samuel's rework and some smaller patches that
> > pave the way for more DM transitions and for accommodating the RISC-V SoC
> > in the future. Merging them now gives us the opportunity to get some wider
> > testing, since those subtle changes tend to break things.
> >
> > Compile-tested for all 159 sunxi boards, boot-tested on Pine64-LTS
> > and OrangePi Zero.

> > - Prepare for SYSRESET driven AXP poweroff
> > - Prepare for SoCs without MMC2
> > - Some fixes for extending SPL (SPL-DM for RISC-V)
> > - Some preparations for proper VBUS management
> > - Fix secure monitor move
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Andre

> > The following changes since commit 355d1e24f6143c4839be3c015c191421c4e9449c:
> >
> >   Merge https://source.denx.de/u-boot/custodians/u-boot-spi (2021-10-23 10:49:28 -0400)
> >
> > are available in the Git repository at:
> >
> >   https://source.denx.de/u-boot/custodians/u-boot-sunxi.git master
> >
> > for you to fetch changes up to c846fe43f0561311eb7261b34023a04646cdbd0d:
> >
> >   mmc: sunxi: conditionally include MMC2 initialization code (2021-10-25 14:54:57 +0100)
> >

> So first, up, this is now applied to u-boot/master.

Many thanks, and sorry for the late push!

> Next, I dug out my original Kickstarted Pine A64 board (as it's the only
> sunxi platform I have), and I see it's detected with 1GB memory and as
> Pine64+ which seems wrong, with the pine64_plus_defconfig (which is what
> I thought handled all of the A64 platforms).

For the naming: There are three SKUs for the original Pine A64 board:
- Pine A64: 512 MB with 100Mbit Ethernet PHY, lacking display and camera
  connectors (rare, mostly to meet the original 15 USD price tag)
- Pine A64+ 1GB: 1GB DRAM with 1Gbit Ethernet PHY, with all connectors
- Pine A64+ 2GB: 2GB DRAM with 1Gbit Ethernet PHY, with all connectors

Also note that for those first boards from Pine64 the name of the
company (Pine64) is sometimes uses for the boards as well ("Pine64
board"), even though this should be "Pine A64 board from Pine64". That
is somewhat reflected in the defconfig name. In hindsight the defconfig
should have been named more "pine-a64_defconfig", but I guess this is
too late now? I see a lot of inconsistencies in naming, especially
regarding capitalisation and dashes vs. underscores, check
configs/[bB]anana* for instance, but probably renaming causes more harm
than good?

So I guess you have the middle one (the most common among the first
wave), so that all seems correct? We differentiate between the non-plus
and plus version at runtime, by the amount of DRAM detected, so that's
pretty reliable. The 1GB and 2GB are otherwise the same, so same DT.
The actual non-plus versions are somewhat rare, I guess most people
just added the 4(!) bucks to get more RAM and Gigabit Ethernet.

> I've not booted this up in
> forever, and Armbian (the first binary I grabbed) does this as well with
> v2020.10 (and I'm using the same TF-A rev of 87311b4) so maybe the
> answer is I should just e-waste this board and pick up something else?

Not sure exactly why? Is there anything that's broken, apart from the
presumed misnaming? I would be happy to hear about any issues you have,
in my experience those "outsider" inputs are very useful (I am far too
familiar with all those tiny quirks).
When U-Boot starts, UEFI boot should work out of the box, just pop a
generic arm64 Debian/SuSE/Fedora/Ubuntu EFI installer USB stick in,
should work even with HDMI and USB keyboard.

Cheers,
Andre