Pull request: u-boot-sunxi/master for 2021.10 - 2nd part

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Fri Oct 29 16:58:03 CEST 2021

On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 10:41:01AM -0400, Tom Rini wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 29, 2021 at 10:20:32PM +0800, Icenowy Zheng wrote:
> > 在 2021-10-29星期五的 11:53 +0100,Andre Przywara写道:
> > > On Mon, 25 Oct 2021 14:29:10 -0400
> > > Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hi Tom,

> > > Many thanks, and sorry for the late push!

> > > For the naming: There are three SKUs for the original Pine A64 board:
> > > - Pine A64: 512 MB with 100Mbit Ethernet PHY, lacking display and
> > > camera
> > >   connectors (rare, mostly to meet the original 15 USD price tag)
> > > - Pine A64+ 1GB: 1GB DRAM with 1Gbit Ethernet PHY, with all
> > > connectors
> > > - Pine A64+ 2GB: 2GB DRAM with 1Gbit Ethernet PHY, with all
> > > connectors
> >
> > You can check whether your board is non-Plus or Plus 1G by the model of
> > the Ethernet PHY (non-Plus has RTL8201) or not soldered FPC connectors.
> > They do share a PCB design. Plus 2G is a dedicated PCB design as it
> > needs to use 4x 512MB DRAM chips.
>
> OK, mine has an RTL8211E and is 1G for sure now that I look harder at
> it.
>
> On a related note, this board will draw power via the UART, is there any
> easy HW change I can do, to fix that?  It's otherwise a lot harder to
> put this in to my CI lab.
>
> > > Also note that for those first boards from Pine64 the name of the
> > > company (Pine64) is sometimes uses for the boards as well ("Pine64
> > > board"), even though this should be "Pine A64 board from Pine64".
> > > That
> > > is somewhat reflected in the defconfig name. In hindsight the
> > > defconfig
> > > should have been named more "pine-a64_defconfig", but I guess this is
> > > too late now? I see a lot of inconsistencies in naming, especially
> > > regarding capitalisation and dashes vs. underscores, check
> > > configs/[bB]anana* for instance, but probably renaming causes more
> > > harm
> > > than good?
> > >
> > > So I guess you have the middle one (the most common among the first
> > > wave), so that all seems correct? We differentiate between the non-
> > > plus
> > > and plus version at runtime, by the amount of DRAM detected, so
> > > that's
> > > pretty reliable. The 1GB and 2GB are otherwise the same, so same DT.
> > > The actual non-plus versions are somewhat rare, I guess most people
> > > just added the 4(!) bucks to get more RAM and Gigabit Ethernet.

> > > Not sure exactly why? Is there anything that's broken, apart from the
> > > presumed misnaming? I would be happy to hear about any issues you
> > > have,
> > > in my experience those "outsider" inputs are very useful (I am far
> > > too
> > > familiar with all those tiny quirks).
> > > When U-Boot starts, UEFI boot should work out of the box, just pop a
> > > generic arm64 Debian/SuSE/Fedora/Ubuntu EFI installer USB stick in,
> > > should work even with HDMI and USB keyboard.

> [...]

For the record, the problem with Armbian is the ancient and slow SD card
I used.  Walking away for a minute or two and oh, hey, automatic login,
after letting distro_boot just run.  So, this board is in fact actually
fine, aside from the power leakage thing.  And that's not 100% reliable,
so I might just see if I can live with it, in my lab, to start with if
there's not an obvious HW mod to the board or UART adapter.

--
Tom