Build with CONFIG_TOOLS_LIBCRYPTO disabled is broken

Alexander Dahl ada at thorsis.com
Tue Aug 2 15:10:13 CEST 2022

Hello everyone,

Am Mittwoch, 27. Juli 2022, 15:08:56 CEST schrieb Tom Rini:
> On Tue, Jul 26, 2022 at 10:27:01AM +0200, Alexander Dahl wrote:
> > Hei hei,
> >
> > once again I tried building U-Boot with CONFIG_TOOLS_LIBCRYPTO disabled
> > and
> > with no libssl-dev installed on the build machine. It does not work.
> >
> > Even porting the patch disabling the build with kwbimage (see links below)
> > does not help anymore, because since commit 6e052d1cbafb ("mkimage: add
> > public key for image pre-load stage") there's a new hard dependency on
> > host openssl in tools/image-host.c and the corresponding kconfig symbol
> > CONFIG_TOOLS_FIT can not be disabled through menuconfig.
> >
> > Just read those discussions again, but not sure what can be done to
> > proceed
> > here? Can I help somehow?
>
> I think we need a new patch that guards the new functions / calls under
> CONFIG_TOOLS_LIBCRYPTO and then a new CI job that removes libssl-dev
> before building tools-only so we don't re-introduce the problem is what
> we need to move forward here.

Apart from that kwbimage stuff, the changeset 6e052d1cbafb mentioned above
touches the following files:

- include/image.h
- tools/fit_image.c
- tools/image-host.c

Conditional building for CONFIG_TOOLS_LIBCRYPTO can currently only be found in
tools/Makefile (not through #ifdefs in header or source files).

I'm not sure if fit_image.o and image-host.o should be moved away from
FIT_OBJS-y to something else, though.  This probably requires a better
understanding of those objects than I have. :-/

Greets
Alex