Submitting patches

Ralph Siemsen ralph.siemsen at linaro.org
Wed Aug 3 18:54:03 CEST 2022

Hi Martin,

On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 6:05 AM Martin Bonner <martingreybeard at gmail.com> wrote:

> I and my colleagues have a number of patches we would like to
> contribute back to the community, however for various reasons
> (principally operating inside corporate firewalls), it isn't possible
> to use `git send-email`, and I haven't been able to create a plain
> text email which is acceptable to `git am`.

It is very common for port 25 to be blocked, however in many cases it
is possible to communicate over port 465 (SSL) or 587 (TLS).

You can do a quick test using netcat or telnet:
$ nc smtp.gmail.com 587
If you are able to connect, then setting up git-send-email is
straightforward; see the example at the end of
https://git-scm.com/docs/git-send-email.

> Is it possible to fork u-boot on Git[HL][au]b or similar hosting site,
> and then send an email to the list pointing at the commit?

I have not used it myself, but git.sr.ht offers such functionality:
https://man.sr.ht/git.sr.ht/#sending-patches-upstream
https://spacepub.space/w/ad258d23-0ac6-488c-83fc-2bacf578de3a

Regards,
Ralph