ethernet<n> dt aliases implications in U-Boot and Linux

Michal Suchánek msuchanek at suse.de
Mon Aug 8 23:45:22 CEST 2022

On Mon, Aug 08, 2022 at 02:38:35PM -0700, Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> On Mon, 8 Aug 2022 23:09:45 +0200
> Michal Suchánek <msuchanek at suse.de> wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Aug 08, 2022 at 03:57:55PM -0400, Sean Anderson wrote:
> > > Hi Tim,

> > > You can also use systemd-networkd et al. (but that is the same kind of mechanism)

> > > No :l
> >
> > Maybe it's a great opportunity for porting biosdevname to DT based
> > platforms ;-)
>
> Sorry, biosdevname was wrong way to do things.
> Did you look at the internals, it was dumpster diving as root into BIOS.

When it's BIOS what defines the names then you have to read them from
the BIOS. Recently it was updated to use some sysfs file or whatver.
It's not like you would use any of that code with DT, anyway.

> Systemd-networkd does things in much more supportable manner using existing
> sysfs API's.

Which is a dumpster of systemd code, no thanks.

I want my device naming independent of the init system, especially if
it's systemd.

Thanks

Michal