default environment append from kconfig

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Wed Aug 10 16:36:27 CEST 2022

On Tue, Aug 09, 2022 at 01:02:24PM +0200, Rasmus Villemoes wrote:
> On 09/08/2022 12.47, Francesco Dolcini wrote:
> > Hello all,
> > is there any kconfig mechanism in u-boot to append environment variable to the
> > default one?
> >

> Well, despite the name, CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS is not settable via
> kconfig, but only from board header file. And while it works, it's
> rather cumbersome to maintain that macro expanding to a string with all
> the embedded \0 and the required \ continuations etc.

I just want to chime in here to note that the biggest blocker to
removing CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS and migrating it to board.env files
is how to handle, exactly, distroboot support.  Aside from that,
whatever is done in CONFIG_EXTRA_ENV_SETTINGS can be done in the .env
file (unless there's some other fancy macro work being done that I've
missed).

--
Tom