TFTP boot using DNS

Valerio Nappi valerio.nappi at cern.ch
Thu Dec 15 10:27:03 CET 2022

Hello everyone,

Context:
I'm new to the u-boot project. I am trying to boot a Zynq SoC from an internal TFTP server, but i have no guarantee that the IP of the server is going to stay the same. A DNS service is offered, and kept updated.

When i try to update the serverip variable using the dns <myserver> serverip command, the variable seems updated (in the sense that I can print the new value) but it is not. Apparently this is ignored on purpose at this line of the source [1]. Commit fd3056337 that introduced this change, mentions "Don't update the variables when the source was programmatic, since the variables were the source of the new value.", that is not true in this case, in fact the source of the new value is the DNS service.

Is there a particular reason why this usecase was not forseen?

Best,
Valerio

[1]: https://github.com/u-boot/u-boot/blob/c917865c7fd14420d25388bb3c8c24cb03911caf/net/net.c#L251