Converting to DM SERIAL for Kirkwood boards

Stefan Roese sr at denx.de
Wed Dec 21 10:29:31 CET 2022

Hi Pali,

On 12/20/22 09:07, Pali Rohár wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 December 2022 07:20:15 Stefan Roese wrote:
>> Hi Tony,
>>
>> On 12/20/22 02:36, Tony Dinh wrote:
>>> Hi Stefan,

>>> I tried this change in drivers/timer/orion-timer.c and it seems to
>>> work consistently.
>>>
>>> -static bool early_init_done __section(".data") = false;
>>> +static bool early_init_done = false;
>>>
>>> I still can't see why it would make a difference. Why does the
>>> __section macro not work? does the reallocation timing have anything
>>> to do with this variable being of the wrong value?
>>
>> Hmmm, so we might have a problem with memory being overwritten? You
>> should perhaps where the sections (especially data) are located and
>> where the stack etc is located. I suggest to also enable DEBUG in
>> board_f/c.c to see a bit more of the addresses being used.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Stefan
>
> Maybe similar issue as with mbus or atsha?
> https://lore.kernel.org/u-boot/20220810124609.5765-1-pali@kernel.org/
> https://lore.kernel.org/u-boot/20220408143015.23163-2-pali@kernel.org/
>
> static variables do not work correctly _before_ u-boot relocation. You
> should avoid usage global OR static variables in code which may be
> called before relocation. And on some boards are all global, static and
> bss variables read-only (those which use execute-in-place, e.g. ppc
> flash).

Thanks for the input. Frankly, I was always a bit hesitant when using
early static variables. Also with moving them into the data segment.
Even though this seems to work on some platforms AFAICT.

I've prepared a patch getting rid of this variable by introducing a
function instead. Tested successfully on my Armada XP platform.

Tony, could you (and perhaps others as well?) test with this new patch,
if everything still works as expected?

Thanks,
Stefan