Broken commit d433c74eecdce1e4952ef4e8c712a9289c0dfcc2

Pali Rohár pali at kernel.org
Thu Dec 22 18:56:40 CET 2022

On Thursday 22 December 2022 12:33:32 Tom Rini wrote:
> I'm sorry you're frustrated here. I'm also frustrated here because the
> #ifdef games that PowerPC used, in a number of places have been very
> hard to un-wrap so that we can have something other than a home-grown
> build system.

I was already trying to reduce it too, some patches I sent, some other I
was preparing and some other are part of turris 1.x platform, which is
waiting there for 6 months. I planned to apply removal of MMC symbols to
other P1/P2 boards, like it is in turris patch, but after turris patch
is merged... which did not happen yet.

> And I've tried to take your other feedback in to
> consideration, which has resulted in a large number of symbols being
> moved to CFG_... instead of Kconfig, as you're right, it wasn't the
> right mechanism for them.
>
> So, is it really just the 3 platforms that use p1_p2_rdb.h that need
> neither SDCARD nor SPIFLASH for the NAND and no extra suffix defconfigs?
> Or is it the P1010RDB ones too?

It applies for e500 v1/v2 cores, which is cpu/mpc85xx in u-boot and
predates P3 platform. If there are not some suspicious symbol names then
it should match any board which uses ARCH_MPC85??? or ARCH_P1?? or
ARCH_P2020 symbol.

P2040 and T???? do not have e500 v1/v2 cores (they have e500mc or e5500
or e6500), so you can ignore these.

Is there any tool which can list all defconfig files which defines some
of those symbols, including transitionally?

It looks like that there are other boards just than P1010RDB which are
affected. For example I see there: TARGET_SOCRATES TARGET_QEMU_PPCE500.
Default boot source is FLASH and just few boards can have multiple boot
source (which means that have multiple defconfig files with those
suffixes). And obviously SD card boot source must not be enabled when
(default) FLASH is used.

Note that u-boot for qemu e500 board can be started in qemu and hence
tested if works without need a real HW. There is also documentation for
it, recently I sent a small doc patch.

Seems that similar CI test like test/nokia_rx51_test.sh could be useful
here.