Xilinx Zynq-7000 : Help petalinux patch u-boot env vars

RisingEdgeIndustries support at risingedgeindustries.com
Sat Jun 11 08:32:59 CEST 2022

Hello,

I'm trying to update some of the u-boot environment variables when I build
my linux Image using petalinux for the zynq 7000 (zedboard).

Looking at the configs folder I found the "xilinx_zynq_virt_defconfig".  So
my first question is the following.  Does this file contain the environment
variables I see when I boot u-boot?  I want to add some environment
variables for u-boot.

For example,
ipaddr = <my_ipaddr>
serverip = <tftp_server_ip>
etc....

If this file is not the file one would modify could someone point me to the
correct place?

My ultimate goal is to use petalinux-devtool (which is yocto devtool -
https://docs.yoctoproject.org/ref-manual/devtool-reference.html) to update
u-boot so it contains my added environment variables.  This tool basically
downloads the xilinx u-boot repo and allows changes to be made via the
yocto devtool.  So that is a little background on why I'm trying to do this
modification this way.  The recommended approach from my silicon vendor
(Xilins) is to use this devtool to "patch" the u-boot source.

So long story short, I have the source ready to be patched and built but I
don't know exactly what to patch (which source file) so when I boot into
u-boot I have the newly added environment variables loaded.

Thanks for any help!

Robbie Valentine
Electrical Engineer
RisingEdgeIndustries