Extend binman to generate boot headers

Alper Nebi Yasak alpernebiyasak at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 10:52:22 CEST 2022

On 16/06/2022 11:45, Peng Fan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am thinking to extend binman to generate i.MX container
> header and IVT header, that means to replace mkimage to generate header.
>
> There is an NXP downstream imx-mkimage that diverge from upstream that
> double effort. There are still require quite effort to migrate downstream
> imx-mkimage to upstream. But the good news is that we are trying binman
> in imx-mkimage to pack images. So if we could support binman to generate
> container/IVT headers, NXP downstream and upstream will align the effort
> to focus on binman, not a diverge imx-mkimage.
>
> How do you think?

Personally I would like this, because I think binman should move towards
a complete understanding of the file formats it has to use and produce.
But I'm not sure what Simon would say here, AFAIK (from some remarks in
binman.rst) he didn't intend binman to replace mkimage. Definitely worth
more discussion.