spi-nand: how to store environment with badblock handling in qspi nand

Daniel Golle daniel at makrotopia.org
Sun Jun 26 02:02:19 CEST 2022

On Sat, Jun 25, 2022 at 10:10:08AM +0200, Kegl Rohit wrote:
> Hello!
>
> Is it possible to store the environment inside a mtd partition when
> using a single qspi nand chip as storage?
> CONFIG_MTD_SPI_NAND=y
>
> The idea is to separate the NAND into two system A/B.
> [...]
>
> CONFIG_ENV_IS_IN_UBI will do badblock handling, but it would be a huge
> overhead to create an extra ubifs mtd partition only for the
> environment.

Actually it's not. The overhead of allocating a UBI volume is minimal
and typical logical block sizes are small enough to not be complete
overkill for something like a U-Boot environment.

> Has anyone already created the A/B system approach with the mtd spi
> nand interface and can give me some input?

Maybe see here for inspiration:
https://git.openwrt.org/?p=openwrt/openwrt.git;a=blob;f=package/boot/uboot-mediatek/patches/410-add-linksys-e8450.patch;h=fde679f3863ccf2e22a3e1fd299963b66041a0b9;hb=HEAD#l403