Adding a zynq board

Christopher Bowman crb at chrisbowman.com
Thu Jun 30 19:20:38 CEST 2022

Greetings,
	I have a board (Diligent Arty-Z7) for which I have a working U-boot.  I’m not sure I’ve done it right but it does work on my board.  I’d like to contribute this back and get it in U-boot.
	I see there is a configuration configs/xilinx_zynq_virt_defconfig which includes several boards.  It would be attractive to simply add the device tree for my board to this list and have a working U-boot.  However, as I understand it, each Zynq board needs to have some initial configuration done and this is done in the ps7_init_gpl.c file which I think is unique to every board.  I don’t understand how the boards in the xilinx_zynq_virt_defconfig configuration are able to share a single ps7_init_gpl.c?  Maybe they don’t?  How do I determine if my board is compatible with the other boards if they’re sharing a ps7_init_gpl.c?  Is it permissible to add a new config for a single zynq board or should I be trying to add it to xilinx_zynq_virt_defconfig?  If someone could provide some perspective here or some direction on adding a new Zynq board that would be great.
Thanks
Christopher