double quoted strings in env.txt files

Holger Brunck holger.brunck at hitachienergy.com
Thu Nov 3 09:18:45 CET 2022

Hi all,
I currently try to convert some boards to the new env.txt files and this works quite well so far.
But I encountered one problem which I am not sure how to solve it.

If I  have some string in a Kconfig file defined like:
config KM_DEF_NETDEV
       string "Default Netdevice"
       default "eth0"

When I use this config now in one of the env.txt files:
netdev=CONFIG_KM_DEF_NETDEV

I end up with:
netdev="eth0"
formerly in the environment I had:
netdev=eth0

So in this case I would like to strip away the double quoted string and I don't see that
there is a way to do so. Surely there would be some workarounds to solve
this but as I have this at several places and I can imagine that this will hit others too,
it might be good to think about a general way to solve this.
For example we could add a tag around these CONFIG options in such cases
which then can be parsed in the script processing the env.txt to strip away the double
quotes.

Any ideas about this? Or is there already a way to solve this problem which I miss?

Best regards
Holger