[RFC v2 0/2] Prevent alignment issues with "in place" FIT configurations

Bjørn Mork bjorn at mork.no
Sun Nov 6 16:41:09 CET 2022

Looking for some feedback on whether this is a problem wanting
to be solved, and if so, whether this solution would be acceptible
(after some polishing).

I recently hit alignment issues on a device where U-Boot has been
modified to force "in place" fdt loading regardless of the fdt_high
environment variable.  I realize that this is not a U-Boot problem,
but I still think that it would be worthwile to make mkimage produce
FIT images suitable for such devices.

This is only one of many possible solutions.  The libfdt changes will
obviously have to be accepted by the dtc community.  I'v posted a
similar request to the devicetree-compiler list with those changes.
The libfdt patch is included here for convenience.

The expected impact for U-Boot is only the tools/fit_image.c patch.

Bjørn

Changes v2:
 - actually use the new fdt_alignprop() instead of an earlier PoC hack

Bjørn Mork (2):
  libfdt: add fdt_alignprop
  mkimage: Align fdt images in FIT to 8 bytes

 scripts/dtc/libfdt/fdt_rw.c          | 26 +++++++++++++++++++
 scripts/dtc/libfdt/fdt_wip.c         |  2 +-
 scripts/dtc/libfdt/libfdt.h          | 30 +++++++++++++++++++++
 scripts/dtc/libfdt/libfdt_internal.h |  1 +

2.30.2