Changing eMMC boot partition size

Philip Oberfichtner pro at denx.de
Tue Nov 8 18:34:18 CET 2022

Hi everybody,

I have a question regarding changing the eMMC boot partition size.
According the the JEDEC eMMC spec it is read-only (BOOT_SIZE_MULT
register).

But we still have mmc_boot_partition_size_change() in
drivers/mmc/mmc_boot.c. It contains the comment

/* Only use this command for raw EMMC moviNAND. Enter backdoor mode */

What is moviNAND? My research pointed me to Samsung products only. So
is changing the boot partition size vendor specific or can it be used
more generally?

To be specific, I use the Kioxia THGBMJG6C1LBAB7 eMMC chip.

Thanks and best regards,
Philip Oberfichtner