U-Boot CONFIG_TIMER migration deadline

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Fri Oct 14 15:41:13 CEST 2022

On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 02:32:41PM +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
> Hey Tom,
>
> > I'm sending this email out to the main and custodian lists, and bcc'ing
> > all of the listed maintainers for platforms that have a problem here.
> > The migration deadline for switching from CONFIG_SYS_TIMER_RATE or
> > CONFIG_SYS_TIMER_COUNTER and to using CONFIG_TIMER is the v2023.01
> > release. Now, per how I've behaved in the past, I'm not going to
> > immediately remove these platforms. But it would be very good to jump on
> > migrating them now, rather than waiting further. The full list (at least
>
> Is there a good example commit that handles the migration?

Good question! You'll need a driver under drivers/timer/ and for example
in U-Boot drivers/timer/omap-timer.c matches (based on compatibles) with
drivers/clocksource/timer-ti-dm-systimer.c and
drivers/clocksource/timer-ti-dm.c in the Linux kernel. Otherwise, a git
log drivers/timer/ shows various conversions of previous in-tree timers
to this framework.

--
Tom