Requiring SPL_DM for new boards?

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Fri Oct 21 18:26:09 CEST 2022

On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 09:56:44AM -0600, Simon Glass wrote:

> Hi,
>
> What do people think about requiring SPL_DM for new boards? Would that
> cause any problems?
>
> There is not much use of of-platdata (compiling the DT into C to save
> space) - is that because it doesn't work for people?
>
> I am particularly keen to drop the old block interface from SPL. It
> seems to me that boards that can use that might have enough space to
> enable SPL_DM and SPL_DM_BLK? What do people think?

I don't think this works. The problem is we aren't seeing new SoCs that
have a large initial amount of memory but rather many continuing to have
32KiB or similar tiny sizes. So, I'd rather continue to go with saying
it's optional, but that we won't introduce new SPL functionality that
can be DM or not DM, but only new functionality that needs SPL_DM and
if platforms want it, but have limited memory, we need to go TPL->SPL in
that case.

--
Tom