ASIX AX88179A USB Ethernet dongle

Boris Kolpackov boris at codesynthesis.com
Fri Sep 23 09:23:33 CEST 2022

Hello,

I am trying to figure out whether ASIX AX88179A-based Ethernet
dongles are supported by U-Boot. There is a driver for AX88179
(note: without 'A') and it seems to recognize the dongle but
that's as far as it gets.

Specifically, when I boot, it is recognized as Ethernet controller
and ethact is set to axg0:

=> print ethact
ethact=axg0

But running bootp or dhcp results in the "unable to connect" error:

=> dhcp
Waiting for Ethernet connection... unable to connect.
Reset Ethernet Device
Waiting for Ethernet connection... unable to connect.
=>

I can also see there is no led activity of any kind on the dongle.

Has anyone had any success with AX88179A? I am using U-Boot 2022.07.

Thanks,
Boris