Config fragments

Tom Rini trini at konsulko.com
Wed Aug 23 18:18:10 CEST 2023

On Wed, Aug 23, 2023 at 05:57:13PM +0200, Heinrich Schuchardt wrote:
> On 23.08.23 17:30, Simon Glass wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Up until 2023.04 it has been possible to build all the defconfigs but
> > with 2023.07 that changed. Tom mentioned this to me recently.
>
> Could you, please, explain why there are defconfig that can't be built. The
> CI should have thrown an error in this case.
>
> Why don't we delete defconfigs that don't build?

What Simon is noting is that all of the defconfigs in configs/ are a
subset of all of the valid configurations of boards.

> > Up until 2023.04 we can enumerate all the board configs that can be
> > built. We can build any of them using a single name and a single
> > defconfig. The boards.cfg file which buildman creates contains a full
> > list of things that can be built.
> >
> >  From 2023.07 this changes and we now have random .config files
> > sprinkled about the place. I say random because they are not connected
> > to anything. For example, here is
> > board/ti/am62x/MAINTAINERS:
> >
> > AM62x BOARD
> > M: Dave Gerlach <d-gerlach at ti.com>
> > M: Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com>
> > S: Maintained
> > F: board/ti/am62x/
> > F: include/configs/am62x_evm.h
> > F: configs/am62x_evm_r5_defconfig
> > F: configs/am62x_evm_a53_defconfig
> >
> > BEAGLEPLAY BOARD
> > M:     Nishanth Menon <nm at ti.com>
> > M:     Robert Nelson <robertcnelson at gmail.com>
> > M:     Tom Rini <trini at konsulko.com>
> > S:     Maintained
> > N:     beagleplay
> >
> > In most cases the MAINTAINERS file tells us about each board and until
> > [1] I had assumed that was the case. With that patch reverted, these
> > are the only 'orphaned' MAINTAINERS entries (buildman
> > --maintainer-check):
> >
> > WARNING: orphaned defconfig in board/armltd/vexpress64/MAINTAINERS
> > ending at line 8
> > WARNING: orphaned defconfig in board/google/veyron/MAINTAINERS ending at line 44
> > WARNING: orphaned defconfig in
> > board/mikrotik/crs3xx-98dx3236/MAINTAINERS ending at line 7
> > WARNING: orphaned defconfig in board/st/common/MAINTAINERS ending at line 6
> > WARNING: orphaned defconfig in board/ti/am62x/MAINTAINERS ending at line 15
>
> Why should we care about the maintainer status when building a defconfig?

We care, for the currently disabled CI check, that all boards have a
listed maintainer.  This is disabled as it was broken by commit
e8da1da82f1e ("buildman: Handle the MAINTAINERS 'N' tag") but only
recently noticed.

--
Tom