Proposal: U-Boot memory management

Simon Glass sjg at chromium.org
Mon Dec 18 22:48:43 CET 2023

Hi Heinrich,

On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 at 14:37, Heinrich Schuchardt <xypron.glpk at gmx.de> wrote:

> Am 18. Dezember 2023 22:03:41 MEZ schrieb Simon Glass <sjg at chromium.org>:
> >Hi Heinrich,

> >> We agree that we want to have a unified memory management.
> >>
> >> Memory management implies that memory allocations remain in effect until the memory is freed.
> >>
> >> This must be true for all allocations whether it is for a kernel, a ramdisk, for loading a file, for an allocation by an EFI binary, or for anything else.
> >>
> >> If boot commands like bootm allocate memory and free it after a failure, that time will be short.
> >>
> >> If a file is loaded and never unloaded that memory allocation must stay until the OS takes over memory management. This is what is missing in U-Boot.
> >
> >I see that more as a reservation than an allocation. The 'load'
> >command can never do a useful memory allocation, since the user may
> >want to load a different file to the same address.
>
> We lack an unload command to free the memory.
>

> >We don't 'free' memory reserved for the kernel/ramdisk...the
> >allocation is only temporary. This is what we need to align on. Those
> >allocations should be collated and reported to EFI before booting,
> >then dropped if the boot fails. This in fact works today, with lmb, so
> >we should not need to change it.
>
> Tempory allocations must use a free. This is trivial to implement.

I 100% disagree, sorry. We don't want to deal with
memory-fragmentation issues, etc. This is not an aloc()/free()
situation. It is an 'image layout' problem.

We need to align on this point before we can make any progress.

> >Trying to bring in alloc/free semantics for lmb seems unnecessary and
> >confusing. Let's keep in mind the problem we are trying to solve. With
> >bootstd we can set up an lmb and place everything that is needed (in
> >the read_all() method), then boot.
>
> The problem we want to solve is that we don't have a proper memory managenent.
>
> The current lmb usage is obviously not memory management and must be replaced by alloc/free semantics.

As above. That statement is completely wrong from my POV, sorry.

Regards,
Simon