Passing boot logs to Linux?

Dragan Simic dsimic at manjaro.org
Wed Dec 20 04:31:43 CET 2023

On 2023-12-19 21:33, Daniel Golle wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 19, 2023 at 08:08:48PM +0000, Csókás Bence wrote:
>> Is passing the U-Boot boot log to Linux supported yet? We are working
>> with a third-party solution, which works, but is a bit hacky, so I was
>> wondering if an official solution has been merged yet.
>>
>> I saw that there was an option CONFIG_CONSOLE_RECORD that saves
>> everything to a membuff, but I don't know if that can be exported to
>> Linux yet. And if not in the tree yet, would such a patch be welcome?
>
> To me this sounds very useful and definitely something we'd like to
> have in OpenWrt. So I'd volunteer to review and test your patches once
> they are ready.

I'd also support having this feature.  It would be very, very useful.

> What comes to mind is that CONFIG_CONSOLE_RECORD also captures ANSI
> sequences during menu or count-down before boot, so we'd have to either
> introduce a dedicated log_printf() call and use that when ever we want
> the output to also become part of the log buffer or we could somehow
> filter the recorded console, eliminating all terminal control
> sequences.

Hmm, that's one of the associated challenges.  Perhaps those
intermediate messages, such as the countdowns and menus, shouldn't be
recorded into the memory buffer at all, but just the final outcomes,
simply because that's the useful part.