Passing boot logs to Linux?

Dragan Simic dsimic at manjaro.org
Wed Dec 20 13:35:46 CET 2023

On 2023-12-20 11:31, Mark Kettenis wrote:
>> Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2023 23:45:48 -0500
>> From: Sean Anderson <seanga2 at gmail.com>

>> > Not yet, but yes I would like to see this.
>>
>> I think most of the infrastructure is already here. We could use
>> either console recording (as mentioned above), which is more
>> complete, or a new LOG_DRIVER (which would have the advantage of
>> omitting things like countdowns).
>>
>> In terms of sending things to Linux, I think the natural choice
>> would be pstore, which we already have a parser for.
>
> Well, this should be OS-agnostic of course ;)

If possible, of course.

> What is pstore?  Is this documented somewhere?

As I already explained briefly in one of my earlier posts, it's a
mechanism that the Linux kernel uses to store the kernel crash data on
persistent storage, for later examination.

Please see the following links, for exaple, for more details:

- https://docs.kernel.org/admin-guide/pstore-blk.html
- https://man7.org/linux/man-pages/man8/systemd-pstore.8.html
-
https://blogs.oracle.com/linux/post/pstore-linux-kernel-persistent-storage-file-system